Every building benefits from improved sound design.
Better acoustics aren’t just meaningful for theatres and concert halls – they improve communication, learning and enjoyment wherever they’re applied.
With over 100 years of combined experience, we deliver tailored solutions on tight timelines that meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes and improve the experience of schools, healthcare facilities, office buildings and more.
We have the expert people, technology and processes to:
- Design acoustical solutions that enhance sound quality and privacy
- Assess and resolve noise complaints with cost-effective solutions
- Address noise intrusion into, out of, and within a building
- Meet relevant regulatory requirements and building codes
- Mitigate potential noise issues proactively during pre-planning
- Collect and evaluate equipment bids from multiple vendors
We work with you at every stage of development
Including an acoustical consultant during the early stages of project planning will minimize the risk of complaints and save potential expensive remediation or renovation costs after construction.
Our full suite of state-of-the-art 3D sound propagation modeling software gives us the ability to identify and eliminate issues long before construction has begun.
Construction is a complex process. With the range of companies, workers and trades that collaborate on every building project, specialized specifications or installation instructions can easily be overlooked or misunderstood.
Patching Associates can help you protect the value you have invested in acoustical design and/or treatment with:
- Site inspections and visits
- Sound Transmission Class (STC) and Impact Isolation Class (IIC) testing
- Vibration prediction and testing
- Product installation training and recommendations
- On-going consultation
Commissioning studies are becoming more common as building performance and ratings systems like LEED are gaining increased attention.
We are capable and experienced with:
- Verification measurements for LEED for Schools Enhanced Acoustical Performance Credit (EQ 9)
- Commissioning studies for audiometric testing suites (ANSI S3.1-1999)
- Field STC & IIC measurements
- ASHRAE background sound level compliance verification
- Outdoor noise studies
- Mapping existing sound levels including occupational noise maps
4. Existing Buildings
Whether it’s a noise complaint, privacy issue or workplace hazard, we take the guesswork out of solving noise challenges through precise testing, analysis and modeling.
The reports we deliver are clear and easy for all stakeholders to understand.
As an independent consultancy, we can help you collect and evaluate multiple bids from noise control vendors, ensuring you get the most appropriate and cost-effective solution for your needs.
A dedicated project manager is assigned to every project and backed by standardized processes, giving us the ability to deliver on a tight timeline.
Our analysis capabilities include:
- Acoustical design of lecture halls, performance centres, classrooms, offices and health care facilities.
- STC verification according to ASTM international standards
- Speech privacy assessments
- Speech Transmission Index (STI) assessments, including speech clarity, speech intelligibility, and background noise
- Noise intrusion evaluations and solutions
- Reverberation (RT60) assessments
- Mechanical equipment and Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) noise assessments
- Field/Apparent Sound Transmission Class (FSTC/ASTC) testing
- Field IIC testing (FIIC)
- Noise Isolation Class (NIC) testing
- Speaker placement and sound level design
- Sound leakage identification
- Audiometric lab verification
- Alarm audibility